Red, yellow and green risotto

I had intended to post my first recipe tomorrow. It is chosen, the shopping list is made and I am ready to roll - tomorrow. But the appalling weather kept me at home until it was too late to get out to the shops and so this evening I had to be inventive with what I have here which, after the New Year, is not much. I'm planning pasta for tomorrow, there are no potatoes in the house and few veg and nothing defrosted so it has to be risotto, a standby. But hey I thought, why not make something new and untried, something to post to get my own ball rolling? So I created this one and David deemed it worthy of posting.

~ 1 litre vegetable stock, in a pan on the hob on a low boil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
300g arborio rice
50ml white wine
12-15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
150 - 200g frozen sweetcorn
60g grated parmesan
a handful fresh basil leaves, finely torn
seasoning to taste

Heat oil in large pot and cook onion and garlic together until soft but not brown. Add rice, stir to coat the grains (about a minute) and then add the wine and bubble until it evaporates.  Spoon in the stock gradually, one ladle at a time, stirring between each until the liquid is absorbed. After about 15-18 minutes when rice is soft but not soggy and there is one ladle of stock left, add the corn, tomatoes and stock and stir until the risotto is firming up but not dry. Remove from heat and add the cheese and basil, stirring it all in to melt cheese.

Serve with crusty bread if you wish, but it's very good as a stand alone.


  1. That sounds really good! I haven't made a risotto in ages - having to stand and stir for such a long time can be tedious - but think I should give it a go.

    We can always add more than 1 recipe a week if we're inspired!

  2. You need certain preparations for a risotto. Choose a good CD to listen to. And I sometimes have a cryptic crossword on hand to fill in the time. But tonight, I made a lemon and shrimp risotto and any time not spent stirring was fully occupied with some elderly Meyer lemons. I grated until my arms were tired, and then squeezed the juice from what was left. The result was, I think, worthwhile. I had certainly worked up an appetite by the time we sat down to eat.