23.1.12

Steak Marsala

Happy Birthday Kit!

It's only taken us two weeks to get the family together to formally acknowledge your 25th.
Having a birthday exactly two weeks after Christmas is not ideal.  People tend to overlook it in the wind-down from Christmas, but we finally got there this evening and tried a slight variation on an old fave for you.  It's something even you could do quickly and easily. 

We know you love fillet steak and you like it best from the barbecue, but this time I wanted to add a special twist to acknowledge the occasion.

I have several recipes in my file for steak Marsala.  I think of Marsala as a cloyingly sweet wine, the stuff of Zabaglione which I have never tasted but I do vividly recall the 'older' generation making it at Christmas in the 60s, and it ruined perfectly good eggnog as far as my 10-year-old taste buds were concerned.

My taste buds have changed though, and tonight's steak with Marsala was very easy and extremely good.  So good in fact, that we have steak left over but none of the Marsala sauce!  And I've changed my mind about Marsala.

There are many far more complicated and time consuming recipes but the end result is about the same even if you're lazy like me and do it this way.

4 - 6oz fillet steaks or any good cut
45g butter
140g sliced mushrooms
180 ml Marsala wine
60 ml balsamic vinegar
25g thinly sliced green onions

Prepare the steak in whatever way you choose, either pan fry, grill or barbecue (our favourite).

Melt 15g butter in a pan.  Add mushrooms and cook until softened.  Pour in the Marsala and allow to heat to almost a boil before pouring in the balsamic.  Simmer, stirring now and then until the liquid is reduced by a half then remove from heat.  Stir in the green onions and ladle over the steak.

Make a bit more of the sauce if you've got big steaks or people who are going to drown their meat with it.



2 comments:

  1. Are you sure you never tasted Zabaglione? I thought it was de rigueur those rare days when Daddy actually wanted to do something in the kitchen and used every pan in the place to make either Zabalgione or Creme Caramel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I blocked it out. I remember the Crème Caramel which was always a hit, but somehow I must have missed the yellow stuff. Why? Was it memorable for any of the right reasons?

      Delete